‘Collecting the Now’ Symposium
7th – 8th March, 2018 NGV-I Clemenger Auditorium
The art and design of the twenty-first century is characterised by complexity and change. Contemporary artists and designers experiment with new materials, emerging technologies and fluid conceptual frameworks that challenge normative approaches to the collection, preservation and presentation of art within collecting institutions. ‘Collecting the Now’ means collecting works that defy easy categorisation by media type or size and may invite an active and iterative engagement with the visitor that contradict traditional preservation conventions.
The program for this two-day symposium will bring together an inter-disciplinary mix of conservators, installers, registrars, contract specialists, curators and artists to explore the challenges presented by the acquisition and display of contemporary art and design. It will be an opportunity to share the innovative methods, practices and materials being used to address their custodianship and is relevant for those working with public, private or university galleries and art storage facilities.
- Deborah Potter, Head of Conservation, Tate
- Veronica Castillo, Head of Collections and Exhibitions Services, M+
- Ian McDonald, Special Council, Simpsons Solicitors
- Amanda Pagliarino, Head of Conservation and Registration, QAGOMA
- Seb Chan, Chief Experience Officer, ACMI
- Associate Professor Melanie Swalwell, Flinders University and ARC Future Fellow
- Dr Petronella Nel, University of Melbourne and Chief Investigator for ARC Project “A national framework for managing malignant plastics in museum collections”
Registrations are now open for this event.
NGV Members $180
Registration includes morning tea, afternoon tea and light lunch.
Registrations can be made via the NGV website: https://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/whats-on/programs-events/collecting-the-now-symposium/
For enquiries about the symposium please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org