Deadline for the Call for Sessions is May 20th 2016.
Call for Sessions
The Work of Art invites discussion on how works of art, craft, design and architecture operate and are operated on in different ways and contexts, historically, socially, politically, aesthetically, affectively. Given the location for the conference in Australia’s national capital with its concentration of national cultural institutions we would also welcome sessions on how art is made to work in institutional contexts. Conference sessions might consider issues such as:
- the function of art in broad social terms
- its affect, the ways in which art “works upon” its viewers
- the practice of art and the various processes of creation
- art in which labour or work is the subject
- the changing character of work and its impacts on art
- the economic frameworks of art production and development of different ways of working
- the singular work of art as a subject for close reading
- curatorial processes and other interventions that make art work
We welcome proposals for conference sessions from scholars, postgraduate students, practitioners and professionals in the field whose work focuses on art, design and architecture. Conference sessions are timetabled for three 20 minute papers plus 10 minute questions, totalling 90 minutes. We also invite alternative formats, such as round table or open discussions providing that they can be accommodated by the timetable structure.
Graduate students are advised that there will be a dedicated Graduate Workshop on Thursday 1 December where feedback on papers and mentoring will be offered. Grad students are also eligible to propose conference sessions and papers in other sessions.
Please note that session convenors must be active members of AAANZ at the time of the conference and will be asked to renew or register for membership upon acceptance of their panel proposal. Session convenors will be expected to administer all enquiries and correspondence relating to their session in consultation with the host committee.
Expressions of interest (250 words) in convening a session at the AAANZ 2016 should be addressed to email@example.com no later than COB Friday May 20th, 2016. Please include contact details of session convenor(s).
All enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org